Wednesday 25 July 2012

Guu Izakaya

I LOVE Guu Izakaya. This restaurant is one of my favourites in Toronto. The food is excellent, the atmosphere is so fun and interactive, and the drinks are great! I recently came to Guu to celebrate my sister's birthday. Myself and some friends dined on a memorable selection of eats and drinks! 

This is the Nama Gure Sour. They bring you half a grapefruit to juice and then you add the juice to vodka and soda.
 Me, at work, getting every last drop of grapefruit juice :)
 Final drink product. It was very refreshing.
This is deep fried brie cheese with mango and blueberry sauce. The cheese just oozed out, and the crunch on the outside was perfect.
Maguro tataki (seared tuna sashimi with ponzu sauce and garlic chips). This was devine. The tuna was so velvety and full of flavour. This was a favourite of the night.
Salmon tataki (salmon sashimi with garlic chips and and wasabi mayo). Just like the tuna above, the salmon was perfect in texture and had bold flavours.
Takoyaki (deep fried octopus balls). I have tried this style of octopus balls at other restaurants, and no one seems to do them as good as Guu does. 
Kakimayo (baked oyster, with mushroom, spinach, garlic mayo and topped with cheese). This oyster is  packed with cheesy, creamy flavour. We ordered 3 orders of them and everyone at the table gobbled them up! They were fantastic. 
Gyu Carpaccio (seared beef sashimi with ponzu sauce, wasabi and garlic chips). The beef was delicate and just melted in your mouth. 
Deep fried calamari with spicy ketchup sauce. Every time I come to Guu, I HAVE to order the calamari. The sauce on these suckers is finger licking good. They are spicy but also a little sweet. Perfectly balanced.
Udon noodles, with a creamy sauce topped with a poached egg. I didn't think I would enjoy this as much as I did. It tasted similar to a spaghetti carbonara. The poached egg on top (after being mixed with the noodles) gave the dish a creamy richness. 
Deep fried shrimp with spicy mayo. mmm mmm good!
Kimchi Udon. This was the only plate of the night that I didn't really enjoy. I found it was far too fishy tasting for my liking. 
 Edamame. A classic light nibble to end the meal.
Tower of birthday shots for the birthday girl! Not only were the shots fantastic, but the servers came to the table and sang 'Happy Birthday' to my sister with such enthusiasm! 

I'll say it again:  I love this restaurant. Everyone working yells hello and goodbye as you enter and exit, which makes you feel welcome. The food is well priced and the drinks are delicious and fun. If you have not yet tried this restaurant...GO....now. You won't regret it!

http://guu-izakaya.com/toronto/

Happy Eating!
Guu Izakaya on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment